Doctor of Ministry
Accelerate your ministry
Refresh your soul
Are you ready to go to the next level? Gateway wants to help you achieve your potential in life and ministry.
At a Glance
Duration: Three to six years that includes:
- 15 units of seminar work
- 8 units of field work
- 6 units of ministry project
- 29 total units
Location: Five Campuses throughout the Western United States. Only two trips to a campus are required for most cohorts, the balance of seminars is online.
Approach: Study in cohorts that range in size from eight to 15.
Why a Gateway D.Min.?
- Quality education at a reasonable cost
- Personalized goals and learning flexibility
- Practical focus of seminars, in short-term intensive format
- Peer support and relationships
- Seminars co-taught by seminary faculty and leading practitioners
- “360-degree” field-based mentoring process
Gateway’s D.Min. program is:
Calibrated to the speed of life. You can earn your D.Min. with two trips of six days duration, to one of the Seminary's strategically located campuses, or without leaving your ministry field if you prefer 100% distance education.
Self-Directed. Gateway Seminary will work with you to customize the degree to your interest of specialization. While the Seminary offers separate cohorts for chaplains and international missionaries, our cohort system allows you to customize the program to your preferred specialization by:
- Selection of an appropriate mentor
- Designing a challenging learning covenant
- Selection of post-seminar research topics
- Ministry project design
- Specialist seminar selection
The Seminary regularly offer these specialist seminars:
- Proclamation and Worship
- Context, Culture and Missions
- The Ministry of Supervision
Gateway Seminary also offers other courses like The Ministry of Writing or The Ministry of Teaching for those who want to expand their ministry onto the written page or into the classroom. If the course offerings don’t fit your needs, the D.Min. program directors will work with you to arrange your own learning experience with a candidate-arranged specialist seminar.
Life on Life. Ministry can be lonely, but it doesn’t have to be that way. The Seminary’s cohort system (eight to 15 candidates) encourages you to build meaningful relationships with other ministers who face the same challenges you do. Gateway Seminary will help you set up a ministry support system so you can gain needed feedback from your peers, those you serve and from a mentor.
Challenging. With Gateway Seminary’s D.Min., you will experience academic excellence with practical application. It is a challenging professional degree that applies academic rigor to life and ministry.
Encouraging. Ministry is tough. You minister in an ever-changing, often hostile environment. The D.Min. faculty understands the pressures. They are accomplished, front-line ministers who teach out of their theological training and their extensive ministry experience. They want to help you accelerate your ministry and refresh your soul.
Requirements for Admission
- M.Div. or equivalent (72 masters-level credit-hours with specific course distribution) with a 3.0 or higher GPA. Those with a lower GPA may still qualify with an adequate Miller's Analogy test score.
- Three years of post M.Div. substantial ministry experience, which can be waived for a limited number of applicants who evidence capacity to do advanced theological reflection.
- Current ministry position
- Complete the application process